1. Beckman JA, Creager MA, Libby P. Diabetes and atherosclerosis: Epidemiology, pathophysiology and management. JAMA 2002; 287: 2570–2581.
2. Mokáň M, Galajda P, Prídavková D et al. Prevalence of diabetes mellitus and metabolic syndrome in Slovakia. Diabete Res Clin Pract 2008; 81: 238–242.
3. Lüscher TF, Creager MA, Beckman JA et al. Diabetes and vascular disease – pathophysiology, clinical consequences and medical therapy, part II. Circulation 2003; 108: 1655–1661.
4. MRFIT Research group: Mortality after 10 and half years for hypertensive participants in the Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial. Circulation 1990; 82: 1616–1628.
5. Gu K, Cowie CC, Harris MI. Diabetes and decline in heart disease mortality in US adults. JAMA 1999; 281: 1291–1297.
6. Haffner SM, Lehto S, Rönnemaa T et al. Mortality from coronary heart disease in subjects with type 2 diabetes and in nondiabetic subjects with and without prior myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 1998; 339: 229–334.
7. Shindler DM, Palmeri ST, Antonelli TA et al. Diabetes mellitus in cardiogenic shock complicating acute myocardial infarction: a report from the SHOCK Trial registry. SHould we emergently revascularize Occluded Coronaries for cardiogenic shocK? J Am Coll Cardiol 2000; 36 (3 Suppl A): 1097–1103.
8. Berg AH, Scherer PE. Adipose tissue, inflammation and cardiovascular disease. Circ Res 2005; 96: 939–949.
9. Shoelson SE, Lee J, Goldfine AB. Inflammation and insulin resistance. J Clin Invest 2006; 116: 1793–1801.
10. Creager MA, Lüscher TF, Cosentino F et al. Diabetes and vascular disease: pathophysiology, clinical consequences and medical therapy. Part I. Circulation 2003; 108: 1527–1532.
11. Lin KY, Ito A, Asagami T et al. Impaired NO synthase pathway in diabetes mellitus: role of asymmetric dimethylarginine dimethylaminohydrolase. Circulation 2002; 106: 987–992.
12. Goldin A, Beckman JA, Schmidt AM et al. Advanced glycation end-products: sparking the development of diabetic vascular injury. Circulation 2006; 114: 597–605.
13. Uemura S, Matsushita H, Li W et al. Diabetes mellitus enhances vascular matrix metalloproteinase activity: role of oxidative stress. Circ Res 2001; 88: 1291–1298.
14. Sudic D, Razmara M, Forslund M et al. High glucose levels enhance platelet activation: involvement of multiple mechanisms. Br J Haematol 2006; 133: 315–322.
15. Eckel RH, Wassef M, Chait A et al. Prevention Conference VI: Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease: Writing Group II: pathogenesis of atherosclerosis in diabetes. Circulation 2002; 105: e138–e143.
16. Ratner R, Goldberg R, Haffner S et al. Impact of intensive life style and metformin therapy on cardiovascular disease risk factors in the diabetes prevention program. Diabetes Care 2005; 28: 888–894.
17. UKPDS Group. Intensive blood-glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with type 2. diabetes. Lancet 1998; 352: 837–853.
18. Nathan DM, Lachin J, Cleary PA et al. Intensive diabetes therapy and carotid intimo-media thickness in type 1 diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med 2003; 348: 2294–2303.
19. Nathan DM, Cleary PA, Backlund JY et al. Intensive diabetes treatment and cardiovascular disease in patients with type 1 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2005; 353: 2643–2653.
20. Chiasson JL, Josse RG, Gomis R et al. Acarbose treatment and the risk of cardiovascular disease and hypertension in patients with impaired glucose tolerance. The STOP-NIDDM trial. JAMA 2003; 290: 486–494.
21. Nesto RW. Beyond low-density lipoprotein: addressing the atherogenic lipids in type 2 diabetes mellitus and metabolic syndrome. Am J Cardiovasc Drugs 2005; 5: 379–387.
22. Beckman JA, Creager, Libby P. Diabetes and atherosclerosis: Epidemiology, pathophysiology and management. JAMA 2002; 287: 2570–2581.
23. Collins R, Armitage J, Parish S et al. MRC/BHF Heart Protection Study of Cholesterol-lowering with simvastatin in 5.963 patients with diabetes: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2003; 361: 2005–2016.
24. Sever PS, Poulter NR, Dahlöf B et al. Reduction in cardiovascular events with atorvastatin in 2.532 patients with type 2 diabetes: Anglo-Scandinavian Cardiovascular Outcomes Trial-lipid lowering arm. Diabetes Care 2005; 28: 1151–1157.
25. Rubins HB, Robins SJ, Collins DJ et al. Gemfibrozil for the secondary prevention of coronary heart disease in men with low levels of HDL-Ch. Veterans Affairs HDL-Ch. Intervention Trial Study Group. N Engl J Med 1999; 341: 410–418.
26. Lefebvre P, Chinetti G, Fruchart JC et al. Sorting out the roles of PPAR alpha in energy metabolism and vascular homeostasis. J Clin Invest 2006; 116: 571–580.
27. Mehler PS, Coll JR, Estacio R et al. Intensive blood pressure control reduces the risk of cardiovascular events in patients with peripheral arterial disease and type 2 diabetes. Circulation 2003; 107: 753–756.
28. Vijan S, Hayward RA. Treatment of hypertension in type 2 diabetes mellitus: blood pressure goals, choice of agents and setting priorities in diabetes care. Ann Intern Med 2003; 138: 593–602.
29. Deinum J, Chaturvedi N. The renin-an-giotensin system and vascular disease in diabetes. Semin Vasc Med 2002; 2: 149–156.
30. HOPE Investigators. Effects of ramipril on cardiovascular and microvascular outcomes in people with diabetes mellitus results of the HOPE study and MICRO-HOPE substudy. Heart Outcomes Prevention Evaluation Study Investigators. Lancet 2000; 355: 253–259.
31. Lindholm LH, Ibsen H, Dahlöf B et al. Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in patients with diabetes in the Losartan Intervention For Endpoint reduction in hypertension study (LIFE). A randomised trial against atenolol. Lancet 2002; 359: 1004–1010.
32. Gaede P, Vedel P, Larsen N et al. Multifactorial intervention and cardiovascular disease in patients with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2003; 348: 383–393.