1. de Graaff LC, Smit JW, Radder JK. Prevalence and clinical significance of organ-specific autoantibodies in type 1 diabetes mellitus. Net J Med 2007; 65: 235–247.
2. Dimitriadis GD, Raptis SA. Thyroid hormone excess and glucose intolerance. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 2001; 109 (Suppl 2): S225–S239.
3. Handisurya A, Pacini G, Tura A et al. Effects of T4 replacement therapy on glucose metabolism in subjects with subclinical (SH) and overt hypothyroidism (OH). Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2008; 69: 963–969.
4. Stanicka S, Vondra K, Pelikanova T et al. Insulin sensitivity and counter-regulatory hormones in hypothyroidism and during thyroid hormone replacement therapy. Clin Chem Lab Med 2005; 43: 715–720.
5. Rochon C, Tauveron I, Dejax C et al. Response of glucose disposal to hyperinsulinaemia in human hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. Clin Sci (Lond) 2003; 104: 7–15.
6. Owecki M, Nikisch E, Sowiński J. Hypothyroidism has no impact on insulin sensitivity assessed with HOMA-IR in totally thyroidectomized patients. Acta Clin Belg 2006; 61: 69–73.
7. Christiansen JJ, Djurhuus CB, Gravholt CH et al. Effects of cortisol on carbohydrate, lipid, and protein metabolism: studies of acute cortisol withdrawal in adrenocortical failure. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007; 92: 3553–3559.
8. Escobar-Morreale HF, del Rey FE, Obregón MJ et al. Only the combined treatment with thyroxine and triiodothyronine ensures euthyroidism in all tissues of the thyroidectomized rat. Endocrinology 1996; 137: 2490–2502.
9. Bunevicius R, Kazanavicius G, Zalinkevicius R et al. Effects of thyroxine as compared with thyroxine plus triiodothyronine in patients with hypothyroidism. N Engl J Med 1999; 340: 424–429.
10. Escobar-Morreale HF, Botella-Carretero JI, Gómez-Bueno M et al. Thyroid hormone replacement therapy in primary hypothyroidism: a randomized trial comparing L-thyroxine plus liothyronine with L-thyroxine alone. Ann Intern Med 2005; 142: 412–424.
11. Appelhof BC, Fliers E, Wekking EM et al. Combined therapy with levothyroxine and liothyronine in two ratios, compared with levothyroxine monotherapy in primary hypothyroidism: a double-blind, randomized, controlled clinical trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005; 90: 2666–2674.
12. Walsh JP, Shiels L, Lim EM et al. Combined thyroxine/liothyronine treatment does not improve well‑being, quality of life, or cognitive function compared to thyroxine alone: a randomized controlled trial in patients with primary hypothyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003; 88: 4543–4550.
13. Rodriguez T, Lavis VR, Meininger JC et al. Substitution of liothyronine at a 1:5 ratio for a portion of levothyroxine: effect on fatigue, symptoms of depression, and working memory versus treatment with levothyroxine alone. Endocr Pract 2005; 11: 223–233.
14. Grozinsky-Glasberg S, Fraser A, Nahshoni E et al. Thyroxine-triiodothyronine combination therapy versus thyroxine monotherapy for clinical hypothyroidism: meta‑analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006; 91: 2592–2599.
15. Kraan GP, Dullaart RP, Pratt JJ et al. The daily cortisol production reinvestigated in healthy men. The serum and urinary cortisol production rates are not significantly different. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1998; 83: 1247–1252.
16. Bergthorsdottir R, Leonsson-Zachrisson M, Odén A et al. Premature mortality in patients with Addison’s disease: a population‑based study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006; 91: 4849–4853.
17. Filipsson H, Monson JP, Koltowska-Häggström M et al. The impact of glucocorticoid replacement regimens on metabolic outcome and comorbidity in hypopituitary patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006; 91: 3954–3961.
18. Løvås K, Thorsen TE, Husebye ES. Saliva cortisol measurement: simple and reliable assessment of the glucocorticoid replacement therapy in Addison’s disease. J Endocrinol Invest 2006; 29: 727–731.
19. Mah PM, Jenkins RC, Rostami-Hodjegan A et al. Weight‑related dosing, timing and monitoring hydrocortisone replacement therapy in patients with adrenal insufficiency. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2004; 61: 367–375.
20. Arlt W, Rosenthal C, Hahner S et al. Quality of glucocorticoid replacement in adrenal insufficiency: clinical assessment vs. timed serum cortisol measurements. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2006; 64: 384–389.
21. Barbetta L, Dall’Asta C, Re T et al. Comparison of different regimens of glucocorticoid replacement therapy in patients with hypoadrenalism. J Endocrinol Invest 2005; 28: 632–637.
22. Newell‑Price J, Whiteman M, Rostami-Hodjegan A et al. Modified-release hydrocortisone for circadian therapy: a proof-of-principle study in dexamethasone-suppressed normal volunteers. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2008; 68: 130–135.
23. Løvås K, Husebye ES. Replacement therapy for Addison’s disease: recent developments. Expert Opin Investig Drugs 2008; 17: 497–509.
24. Jeffcoate W. Assessment of corticosteroid replacement therapy in adults with adrenal insufficiency. Ann Clin Biochem 1999; 36: 151–157.
25. Cohen N, Gilbert R, Wirth A et al. Atrial natriuretic peptide and plasma renin levels in assessment of mineralocorticoid replacement in Addison’s disease. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1996; 81: 1411–1415.
26. Hunt PJ, Gurnell EM, Huppert FA et al. Improvement in mood and fatigue after dehydroepiandrosterone replacement in Addison’s disease in a randomized, double blind trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2000; 85: 4650–4656.
27. Johannsson G, Burman P, Wirén L et al. Low dose dehydroepiandrosterone affects behavior in hypopituitary androgen-deficient women: a placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2002; 87: 2046–2052.
28. Løvås K, Gebre‑Medhin G, Trovik TS et al. Replacement of dehydroepiandrosterone in adrenal failure: no benefit for subjective health status and sexuality in a 9-month, randomized, parallel group clinical trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003; 88: 1112–1118.
29. Dhatariya K, Bigelow ML, Nair KS. Effect of dehydroepiandrosterone replacement on insulin sensitivity and lipids in hypoadrenal women. Diabetes 2005; 54: 765–769.
30. Miller KK, Biller BM, Beauregard C et al. Effects of testosterone replacement in androgen-deficient women with hypopituitarism: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006; 91: 1683–1690.
31. Miller KK, Biller BM, Schaub A et al. Effects of testosterone therapy on cardiovascular risk markers in androgen-deficient women with hypopituitarism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007; 92: 2474–2479.
32. Wierman ME, Basson R, Davis SR et al. Androgen therapy in women: an Endocrine Society Clinical Practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006; 91: 3697–3710.