1. Reaven GM. Banting lecture 1988. Role of insulin resistance in human disease. Diabetes 1988; 37: 1595-1607.
2. Reaven G. Metabolic syndrome: pathophysiology and implications for management of cardiovascular disease. Circulation 2002; 106: 286-288.
3. Haffner SM, Lehto S, Ronnemaa T et al. Mortality from coronary heart disease in subjects with type 2 diabetes and in nondiabetic subjects with and without prior myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 1998; 339: 229-234.
4. Havel PJ. Control of energy homeostasis and insulin action by adipocyte hormones: leptin, acylation stimulating protein, and adiponectin. Curr Opin Lipidol 2002; 13: 51-59.
5. Zhang Y, Proenca R, Maffei M et al.Positional cloning of the mouse obese gene and its human homologue. Nature 1994; 372: 425-432.
6. Xu H, Barnes GT, Yang Q et al. Chronic inflammation in fat plays a crucial role in the development of obesity-related insulin resistance. J Clin Invest 2003; 112: 1821-1830.
7. Weisberg SP, McCann D, Desai M et al. Obesity is associated with macrophage accumulation in adipose tissue. J Clin Invest 2003; 112: 1796-808.
8. Haffner SM Pre-diabetes, insulin resistance, inflammation and CVD risk. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2003; 61(Suppl 1): S9-S18.
9. Haluzik M, Parizkova J, Haluzik MM Adiponectin and its role in the obesity-induced insulin resistance and related complications. Physiol Res 2004; 53: 123-129.
10. Arita Y, Kihara S, Ouchi N et al. Paradoxical decrease of an adipose-specific protein, adiponectin, in obesity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1999; 257: 79-83.
11. Scherer PE, Williams S, Fogliano M et al. A novel serum protein similar to C1q, produced exclusively in adipocytes. J Biol Chem 1995; 270: 26746-26749.
12. Hu E, Liang P, Spiegelman BM. AdipoQ is a novel adipose-specific gene dysregulated in obesity. J Biol Chem 1996; 271: 10697-10703.
13. Nakano Y, Tobe T, Choi-Miura NH et al. Isolation and characterization of GBP28, a novel gelatin-binding protein purified from human plasma. J Biochem (Tokyo) 1996; 120: 803-812.
14. Haluzik MM, Lacinova Z, Dolinkova M et al. Improvement of insulin sensitivity after peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha agonist treatment is accompanied by paradoxical increase of circulating resistin levels. Endocrinology 2006; 147: 4517-4524.
15. Haluzik M. diponectin and its potential in the treatment of obesity, diabetes and insulin resistance. Curr Opin Investig Drugs 2005; 6: 988-993.
16. Pajvani UB, Hawkins M, Combs TP et al. Complex distribution, not absolute amount of adiponectin, correlates with thiazolidinedione-mediated improvement in insulin sensitivity. J Biol Chem 2004; 279: 12152-12162.
17. Yamauchi T, Kamon J, Ito Y et al. Cloning of adiponectin receptors that mediate antidiabetic metabolic effects. Nature 2003; 423: 762-769.
18. Fasshauer M, Klein J, Neumann S et al. Hormonal regulation of adiponectin gene expression in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2002; 290: 1084-1089.
19. Makimura H, Mizuno TM, Bergen H et al. Adiponectin is stimulated by adrenalectomy in ob/ob mice and is highly correlated with resistin mRNA. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2002; 283: E1266-E1271.
20. Puerta M, Abelenda M, Rocha M et al. Effect of acute cold exposure on the expression of the adiponectin, resistin and leptin genes in rat white and brown adipose tissues. Horm Metab Res 2002; 34: 629-634.
21. Housova J, Anderlova K, Krizova J et al. Serum adiponectin and resistin concentrations in patients with restrictive and binge/purge form of anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005; 90: 1366-1370.
22. Schaffler A, Herfarth H, Paul G et al. Identification of influencing variables on adiponectin serum levels in diabetes mellitus type 1 and type 2. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 2004; 112: 383-389.
23. Matsuda M, Shimomura I, Sata M et al. Role of adiponectin in preventing vascular stenosis. The missing link of adipo-vascular axis. J Biol Chem 2002; 277: 37487-37491.
24. Kubota N, Terauchi Y, Yamauchi T et al. Disruption of adiponectin causes insulin resistance and neointimal formation. J Biol Chem 2002; 277: 25863-25866.
25. Kawanami D, Maemura K, Takeda N et al. Direct reciprocal effects of resistin and adiponectin on vascular endothelial cells: a new insight into adipocytokine-endothelial cell interactions. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2004; 314: 415-419.
26. Ouchi N, Kihara S, Arita Y et al. Adipocyte-derived plasma protein, adiponectin, suppresses lipid accumulation and class A scavenger receptor expression in human monocyte-derived macrophages. Circulation 2001; 103: 1057-1063.
27. Arita Y, Kihara S, Ouchi N et al. Adipocyte-derived plasma protein adiponectin acts as a platelet-derived growth factor-BB-binding protein and regulates growth factor-induced common postreceptor signal in vascular smooth muscle cell. Circulation 2002; 105: 2893-2898.
28. Yamauchi T, Kamon J, Waki H et al. Globular adiponectin protected ob/ob mice from diabetes and ApoE-deficient mice from atherosclerosis. J Biol Chem 2003; 278: 2461-2468.
29. Okamoto Y, Kihara S, Ouchi N et al. Adiponectin reduces atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice. Circulation 2002; 106: 2767-2770.
30. Shibata R, Sato K, Pimentel DR et al. Adiponectin protects against myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury through AMPK- and COX-2-dependent mechanisms. Nat Med 2005; 11: 1096-1103.
31. Shimabukuro M, Higa N, Asahi T et al. Hypoadiponectinemia is closely linked to endothelial dysfunction in man. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003; 88: 3236-3240.
32. Jansson PA, Pellme F, Hammarstedt A et al. A novel cellular marker of insulin resistance and early atherosclerosis in humans is related to impaired fat cell differentiation and low adiponectin. Faseb J 2003; 17: 1434-1440.
33. Hotta K, Funahashi T, Arita Y et al. Plasma concentrations of a novel, adipose-specific protein, adiponectin, in type 2 diabetic patients. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2000; 20: 1595-1599.
34. Weyer C, Funahashi T, Tanaka S et al. Hypoadiponectinemia in obesity and type 2 diabetes: close association with insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001; 86: 1930-1935.
35. Hotta K, Funahashi T, Bodkin NL et al. Circulating concentrations of the adipocyte protein adiponectin are decreased in parallel with reduced insulin sensitivity during the progression to type 2 diabetes in rhesus monkeys. Diabetes 2001; 50: 1126-1133.
36. Kumada M, Kihara S, Sumitsuji S et al. Association of hypoadiponectinemia with coronary artery disease in men. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2003; 23: 85-89.
37. Bahia L, Aguiar LG, Villela N et al. Adiponectin is associated with improvement of endothelial function after rosiglitazone treatment in non-diabetic individuals with metabolic syndrome. Atherosclerosis 2006; E-pub (v tisku).
38. Majuri A, Santaniemi M, Rautio K et al. Rosiglitazone treatment increases plasma levels of adiponectin and decreases levels of resistin in overweight women with PCOS: a randomized placebo-controlled study. Eur J Endocrinol 2007; 156: 263-269.
39. Dormandy JA, Charbonnel B, Eckland DJ et al. Secondary prevention of macrovascular events in patients with type 2 diabetes in the PROactive Study (PROspective pioglitAzone Clinical Trial In macroVascular Events): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2005; 366: 1279-1289.