1. NIH Consensus Development Panel. Osteoporosis prevention, diagnosis, and therapy. JAMA 2001; 285: 785–795.
2. Kado DM, Duong T, Stone KL et al. Incident vertebral fractures and mortality in older women: a prospective study. Osteoporos Int 2003; 14: 589–594.
3. Štěpán J, Payer J, Abrahámová J. Stratifikace léčby postmenopauzální osteoporózy. Prakt Lék 2004; 84: 500–506.
4. Lufkin EG, Whitaker MD, Nickelsen T et al. Treatment of established postmenopausal osteoporosis with raloxifenea randomized trial. J Bone Miner Res 1998; 13: 1747–1754.
5. Maricic M, Adachi JD, Sarkar S et al. Early effects of raloxifene on clinical vertebral fractures at 12 months in postme-nopausal women with osteoporosis. Arch Intern Med 2002; 162: 1140–1143.
6. Pols HA, Felsenberg D, Hanley DA et al. Multinational, placebocontrolled, randomized trial of the effects of alendronate on bone density and fracture risk in postmenopausal women with low bone mass: results of the FOSIT study. Osteoporos Int 1999; 9: 461–468.
7. Reginster J, Minne HW, Sorensen OH et al. Randomized trial of the effects of risedronate on vertebral fractures in women with established postmenopausal osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 2000; 11: 83–91.
8. Cranney A, Guyatt G, Griffith L et al. Meta-analyses of therapies for postme-nopausal osteoporosis. IX: Summary of meta-analyses of therapies for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Endocr Rev 2002; 23: 570–578.
9. Kado DM, Browner WS, Palermo L et al. Vertebral fractures and mortality in older women: a prospective study. Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Arch Intern Med 1999; 159: 1215–1220.
10. Lindsay R, Silverman SL, Cooper C et al. Risk of new vertebral fracture in the year following a fracture. JAMA 2001; 285: 320–323.
11. Štěpán J, Šmíd M, Prokeš M et al. Ekonomicke aspekty osteoporozy. Čas Lék Česko 1998; 137: 707–715.
12. Black DM, Cummings SR, Karpf DB et al. Randomised trial of effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with existing vertebral fractures. Lancet 1996; 348: 1535–1541.
13. Cummings SR, Black DM, Thompson DE et al. Effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with low bone density but without vertebral fractures: results from the Fracture Intervention Trial. JA-MA 1998; 280: 2077–2082.
14. McClung MR, Geusens P, Miller PD et al. Effect of risedronate on the risk of hip fracture in elderly women. N Engl J Med 2001; 344: 333–340.
15. Harris ST, Watts NB, Genant HK et al. Effects of risedronate treatment on vertebral and nonvertebral fractures in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis: a randomized controlled trial. JA-MA 1999; 282: 1344–1352.
16. Štěpán JJ: Algoritmus diagnostiky a léčby osteoporózy. Farmakoterapie 2005; 1: 485–494.
17. Cummings SR, Palermo L, Browner W et al. Monitoring osteoporosis therapy with bone densitometry: misleading changes and regression to the mean. JA-MA 2000; 283: 1318–1321.
18. Štěpán JJ, Zikán V. Calcitonin load test to assess the efficacy of salmon calcitonin. Clin Chim Acta 2003; 336: 49–55.
19. Hochberg MC, Ross PD, Black D et al. Larger increases in bone mineral density during alendronate therapy are associated with a lower risk of new vertebral fractures in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis. Arthritis Rheum 1999; 42: 1246–1254.
20. Štěpán J. Kvalita kosti: které účinky léčby můžeme monitorovat a co to před-pokládá? Osteologicky Bull 2003; 8: 75–81.
21. Garnero P. Markers of bone turnover for the prediction of fracture risk. Osteo-poros Int 2000; 11: 55–65.
22. Gerdhem P, Ivaska KK, Alatalo SL et al. Biochemical markers of bone metabo-lism and prediction of fracture in elderly women. J Bone Miner Res 2004; 19: 386–393.
23. Borah B, Dufresne TE, Chmielewski PA et al. Risedronate preserves bone ar-chitecture in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis as measured by three-di-mensional microcomputed tomography. Bone 2004; 34: 736–746.
24. Delmas PD, Genant HK, Crans GG et al. Severity of prevalent vertebral fractu-res and the risk of subsequent vertebral and nonvertebral fractures: results from the MORE trial. Bone 2003; 33: 522–532.
25. Roy DK, Pye SR, Lunt M et al. Falls explain between center differences in the incidence of limb fracture across Europe. Bone 2002; 31: 712–717.
26. Dukas L, Schacht E, Stahelin HB. In elderly men and women treated for osteoporosis a low creatinine clearance of <65 ml/min is a risk factor for falls and fractures. Osteoporos Int 2005; 16: 1683–1690.
27. Cramer JA, Amonkar MM, Hebborn A et al. Compliance and persistence with bisphosphonate dosing regimens among women with postmenopausal osteopo-rosis. Curr Med Res Opin 2005; 21: 1453–1460.
28. Turbi C, Herrero Beaumont G et al. Compliance and satisfaction with raloxifene versus alendronate for the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis in clincal practice: An openlabel, prospective, nonrandomized, observational study. Clin Ther 2004; 26: 245–256.
29. Martino S, Cauley JA, Barrett Connor E et al. Continuing outcomes relevant to Evista: breast cancer incidence in post-menopausal osteoporotic women in a randomized trial of raloxifene. J Natl Cancer Inst 2004; 96: 1751–1761.
30. Richer E, Lewis MA, Odvina CV et al. Reduction in normalized bone elasticity following long–term bisphosphonate treatment as measured by ultrasound cri-tical angle reflectometry. Osteoporos Int 2005; 16: 1384–1392.
31. Odvina CV, Zerwekh JE, Rao DS et al. Severely suppressed bone turnover: a po-tential complication of alendronate the-rapy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005; 90: 1294–1301.
32. Štěpán JJ, Burr DB, Pavo I et al. Pre-valent fractures, low bone mineral densi-ty and ageing are associated with greater histomorphometric indicators of microdamage accumulation in postmenopau-sal women. J Bone Miner Res 2005; 20: S90–91.
33. Caro JJ, Ishak KJ, Huybrechts KF et al. The impact of compliance with osteoporosis therapy on fracture rates in actual practice. Osteoporos Int 2004; 15: 1003–1008.
34. Bone HG, Hosking D, Devogelaer JP et al. Ten years’ experience with alendro-nate for osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. N Engl J Med 2004; 350: 1189–1199.
35. Tremollieres FA, Pouilles JM, Ribot C. Withdrawal of hormone replacement therapy is associated with significant ver-tebral bone loss in postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int 2001; 12: 385–390.
36. Michalská D, Štěpán JJ, Basson BR et al. The effect of raloxifene after disconti-nuation of long-term alendronate treat-ment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006; 91: 870–877.
37. Silva MJ, Gibson LJ. Modeling the mechanical behavior of vertebral trabecular bone: effects of agerelated changes in microstructure. Bone 1997; 21: 191–199.
38. Ettinger B, San Martin J, Crans GG et al. Response of markers of bone turnover and bone density to teriparatide in postmenopausal women previously trea-ted with an antiresorptive drug. J Bone Mineral Research 2003; 18: S15.